Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Love Thy Liver

The liver is a very important organ.  It filters toxins out of your body and when it gets upset or irritated, it lets you know.  Symptoms of liver stress include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain in your upper right quadrant (under your rib cage), and a general feeling of extreme yuckiness.  It's awful.  It's how my sickness started and I still feel my liver from time to time.  Apparently garlic is really good for your liver.  According to Chris, of ChrisBeatCancer.com, garlic is the number one disease fighting food.  It, and other allium veggies, actually stop cancer cells from growing.  He eats something like three crushed cloves a day, chased down with water, and takes garlic supplements.  He stinks.  He admits it.  If we all do this, I don't think it'd be a problem.

I don't drink alcohol at the moment.  I really like alcohol.  It was the thing I missed most when I was pregnant with Asher.  I missed my 1/2 a bottle of beer a day that turned the chore of cooking dinner into a time of pleasure.  Now, I don't drink because my liver is 'sensitive.'  This diagnosis is all mine; my doctors don't agree.  But I don't want to risk it.  For all of you who are able to enjoy your drink, I envy you.  I suggest taking a little Milk Thistle.  It's also supposed to be good for your liver if you drink.

So eat your garlic, take your thistle. And while you're at it, go ahead and add some Turmeric to your diet.  It's one of those incredible spices that does wonders for your immune system.  I add some to my smoothie daily.  And my quinoa.

Love thy liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment