Thursday, August 15, 2013

IVIG

Today I had to get IVIG (an immunoglobulin transfusion that most transplants need for awhile until our counts go back up. Immunoglobulins fight infections).  It sucks.  Most people who get IVIG have no problem with it, but I always have a reaction (dizzy, heavy, weird, sickish) and then I have to get a steroid (not the kind that makes you buff).  It takes about 4 hours for the actual infusion but the entire process is closer to 5 hours.  Luckily for me, I got to watch Suits on my iPad and ended up laughing and smirking through much of the treatment.  (If you haven't seen this show, I highly recommend it.)  The hardest part is being at the West Clinic again.  The people are very nice and friendly, but sick, and that's hard for me to see.  I like to pretend that I'm not sick and never was.  A few weeks ago I was outside walking one of my dogs and all of a sudden it hit me - I had a bone marrow transplant.  I couldn't believe it!  A freakin' bone marrow transplant!  How crazy is that?!  I really had forgotten.  Sometimes when I look in the mirror I pretend I'm just a really cool rocker chic who chopped off all of her hair and has an awesome hidden tattoo.  Anyway, I had gotten spoiled the past few weeks and felt too good to go to treatment today.  Luckily I only have to get this once a month for 6 months, but I may talk my way out of it (as I usually do...or at least try to).  I remember in the hospital my mom once said, "You know, most people just say 'okay' when a doctor tells them what to do."  I said, "Really?  Why would they do that?!" - I ALWAYS negotiate when treatment or meds are involved.  I guess Asher got his negotiating skills from me.  His swim teacher said she had never met a toddler who negotiates like Ash and that he is bound to be a lawyer.  I can't tell you how many times Lawson and I would look at each other on our trip and say, "I don't know what to do," as Asher negotiated some new treaty. He definitely keeps us on our toes!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you & Asher could give me a lesson or 2. I'm terrible at negotiations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asher's really the pro, Jan. He would love to help you out. :)

    ReplyDelete